Saturday 13 November 2010

All because the lady loves...

No, not any kind of tray, milk or otherwise!

What this lady loves right now is MooFree!!! Mmmmmmm moofree. I've just ordered my MooFree advent calendar and I'm SO EXCITED!!! I admit I may be a bit hyper right now as I just ate half a bar of Organica White Chocolate.


I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

It's a misconception that vegans have to give up chocolate. Many even assume that cocoa butter involves some kind of cow lactation in its production. This is because many forget one simple fact. Like most good things (coffee, tofu, soy sauce, Jack's beanstalk) chocolate is made from beans. I'm not going to go into how exactly chocolate is made from these beans because a google search will tell you straight away, but I am going to list and rate some of the best vegan chocolates (whether dark or milk style) and dream of the day I'm given the best job in the world- vegan chocolate taster. Yum.


MOO FREE
Starting with my fave, the AMAZING Moo Free.

Many vegan chocolates have the problem of being too sweet (the rice milk varieties) too rich (the dark varieties) or have a funny aftertaste (the soya milk varieties). Well, Moo Free is a rice milk variety which strikes the balance perfectly. Not too sweet, not too rich, it just tastes like great quality milk chocolate, and as it says on the packet, they're setting the cows free! And the wee hamster is cuuuute! Even my mum who is much more discerning than I on the matter of chocolate was impressed. They do seasonal moo free products like advent calendars and easter eggs and also do chocolate drops and truffles. Anyone who wants to buy me the truffles for christmas, would make me a happy girl indeed. Kthnx :)



dairy free milk chocolate bar


KINNERTON

Already previously mentioned for their awesome High School Musical lollipops (Sharpe and Chad were munched but I just can't bring myself to unwrap Troy) Kinnerton also do bars of chocolate which, although they are dark chocolate, are sweet enough and not too strongly flavoutred to satisfy even children I'd think. Not very excitingly packaged though, but easy to get from supermarkets which is a bonus.

Dairy Free Bar


PLAMIL

I want to like plamil chocolate, I really do. I love the Plamil choc spread I get from the Health Food store, which I eat by the gallon, and I have a tub of plamil mayo that I've yet to try. But having sunk my teeth into both their regular and sugar free varieties, I have to say that I get bored eating it and can't finish the bars. I'm excited to try their rum and raisin variety though, which sounds more up my street!

Dairy Free Alternative to Milk Chocolate




ORGANICA

I've yet to try Organica's milk style chocolate, but I know I find their white-style chocolate a bit on the oversweet side- it's like eating sweetened fat. I'm guessing that's cause it's mainly cocoa butter (fat) mixed with sugar. But I never liked white chocolate much anyway. My boyfriend on the other hand said it tastes like regular white chocolate, which must be a good thing, because white chocolate is his favourite.

Organica White Chocolate Bar


DIVINE

Divine is fairtrade chocolate that's fairly well known and they produce a dark chocolate that is vegan. It's a little strong tasting for me (probably because it's 75%) but I like that it's an easy to find chocolate when I'm in a pinch.


HUMDINGER

Humdinger Dairy Free chocolates are in most supermarket's free from section and use soya flour, which I tend to find leaves a funny aftertaste. I have a bar of their chocolate and two or three packets of buttons on my bedside table for emergencies though, and because it's reasonably priced and easy to find it's my go-to milk-style chocolate for baking with.

Dairy Free Range

BOOJA BOOJA

I can't believe I nearly made a post about chocolate which didn't mention BOOJA BOOJA. That's mostly because this post was meant to be about bars and booja booja make truffles. But boy are they good truffles. My lovely boyfriend sent me some booja booja champagne truffles when I was in France and they were amazing! Can't eat too many of them though (don't look at the nutritional guide on the back it'll give you a heart attack!) I like the banana ones too and the hazelnut are the best. Coffee ones are too strong though!!




Well now after all that you're probably wondering where to buy all these lovely choccies for my Christmas. This list isn't exhaustive, there are many other vegan chocolates out there, and so for the above choccies and many others here are some websites:





Happy chocolate eating!

3 comments:

  1. I demand they start making a bigger varities of moo free chocs...like a box of Cadbury Box type chocs but VEGAN!!! Pref not £50 a box either...I had a box of Sjaaks once they had SIX chocs in SIX for £8...six barely coats the sides. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. YUM! There's a moo free cranberry and nut bar and banana chip bar and things on the alotofchocolate site which look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah and in the end I did try plamil rum and raisin and I hated it! Really strong rum flavour.

    ReplyDelete