Monday 28 February 2011

Meh

I was in a good mood this morning. The sun was shining, the day seemed promising. But 5 hours in a dimly lit room in front of my computer wrestling with a human rights assignment and I'm fed up. I don't have any plans for this week other than uni work, because I have a presentation for Wednesday which I have no time to look at, and an assignment for Thursday. I can't concentrate. I always seem to write blog posts when I have a hundred other things to do.

I handed in my notice at work yesterday, I've only been there six months so it was not a big deal, but I will feel so much free-er when I'm finished there. I need the time to get my assignments done, plus after uni finishes I already have a couple of trips booked, to Dundee and to London, and I'd like some time to myself as well, which would be difficult if I was working. I already volunteer two full days a week, so working three days plus being a full time student wasn't working out and I was constantly complaining about it!

I am going to do an Easter post soon, I'm getting excited about it already. It's not as good as Christmas, but it involves chocolate, and that's good enough for me.

As I mentioned I'm going to London in April and I'm hoping to visit the Secret Society of Vegans when I'm there. I'm going with C and I'm not sure how many, if any, veg restaurants he will be willing to visit, but there are literally hundreds! So I'm hoping to sample at least one. I'll do a post about it when I get back.

One thing I don't want to sample though, which has been in the news recently, is this:


It's weird to me now to think that adults drink any kind of breast milk, and I suppose it's more natural to drink it from your own species than from another one, but it still makes me feel like this:


I don't have any problem with breast milk in general, clearly for babies it should be their first source of sustenance, and usually the only thing they should consume for six months. When I have kids I will try my best to breast feed them. Some people assume vegans wouldn't breast feed because technically breast milk is an 'animal' product, but the whole point is not sticking stringently to some definition but avoiding the unnecessary suffering of sentient creatures, and obviously breast feeding doesn't involve that. I suppose this breast milk ice cream might be vegan too, there being no exploitation involved. Nevertheless there is something really bizarre about it, and it screams fad, done for no other reason than to seem edgy and different. Really it's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment